Teens Ministry 2012 Overview
During 2012 City Hill teens did many different events throughout the year that we wanted to share about:
1. Destination Unknown- this is where the teens are taken to an unknown destination pre-planned by teen leaders ahead of time. At each destination they have a chance to explore the place they are at and the leaders end the with a short lesson based on that destination. A few places the teens when to last year included a hiking trip near Mt. Rainier, a Russian Orthodox church in Seattle, and the Glass Museum in Tacoma.
2. Summer Camp – in August, teens attended a 4-day summer camp where they had the opportunity to participate in many fun and active activities during the day, including water events, challenge courses, and shared skits they created. At night they attended powerful worship services with a message shared by their church pastors. Many of the nights the teens spent in prayer seeking God on their own time after church as well as studying the Word of God and doing devotions with one another throughout the day. These days were very transformational and effective in helping teens bond with one another and grow deeper in their relationship with God.
3. Girls & Boys Nights – Once a year the teen boys and teen girls have a separate night where they have a chance to do something fun together as well as have a special lesson and talk at the end geared specifically toward them.
This year, girl teen leaders hosted “Inside-Out”, a girls night where the focus was on the beauty inside, being fearfully and wonderfully made by God (Psalms 139.14). The world around us focuses on the outside appearance so much, that we wanted our girls to realize the importance of the image of their heart. The teens had the opportunity to make thank you cards, decorate and pack 15 soldier care packages that were shipped to Rex Potter's base. With the help of City on a Hill Church, Nataliya Zalutskiy, Lilie Radchuk, and Krista Whitish the packages contained gifts and goodies that the soldiers were able to enjoy. We received a letter from Rex Potter a few weeks after the packages were sent:
"I want to start by saying THANK YOU ALL!!! The care packages were amazing and very well put together. As some of you may know, I decided to hand most of the packages out to the soldiers of foreign armies... It may seem like a very simple thing to you all, putting these packages together, but the impact they had on the people who received them cannot be accurately articulated with words. You all had a very positive effect on these people through what may appear to be a simple act of kindness. These acts of kindness are very rare for many people in the world. When I gave a care package to the Housing Department lady, she almost started crying...Thank you all so much for the extremely positive impact you had on these great people here...I love seeing God's work through an incredible group like you all...I miss you all. God Bless you all” - Rex Potter
The men leaders hosted “God’s Warrior’s”, a boys night where the focus of the night was about what it meant to be a warrior of God and what they need to do to better prepare themselves for the challenges, temptations, and battles that they face in their lives. They boys went to laser quest in the beginning of the night and then went back to church for activities and their talk with their teen leaders.
4. Lock-In’s – Every few months City Hill Teens hold a lock-in at church. The teens come together for the night where they start off by doing a fun activity together and then return to church for an evening of games as well as ending it off with a sermon by a teen or church leader. This year the teens went to Sky High for one Lock-In and a Roller-skating rink for another one. At the end they had the church youth pastor’s come and share a word with them. Then they continued with their activities until the morning. During this time they build friendships with one another, have a fun time, and grow closer to God through their fellowship during the messages with their church pastors.
5. Prayer Mountain Retreat - The teen leaders and teens went on a two day retreat to Prayer Mountain in Oregon where they spent their time seeking God together. The teens had Bible devotions with their leaders where they were able to discuss the importance of prayer in their daily lives. During the day and evening they had the opportunities to hear the church pastors share a message with them and call them to prayer together. The teens also had a chance to also explore the mountain, go on a hike, and spend time getting to know one another more. The retreat was a good time of fellowship, prayer, and spiritual renewal for the teens and leaders.
6. Junior Blocs - In 2012 City Hill Teen launched Junior Blocs, which are small group meetings with teen leaders that happen twice a month. Boys and girls are separated into these small groups and they have the opportunity to get together with their teen leaders and friends to spend time growing closer to God and one other by reading and discussing the Bible as well as other Biblical based topics that are of interest to them.
7. Mexico Mission Trip - During the summer 8th grade teens went on a week-long mission trip to Mexico where they were able to put their time, talents, and energy to use to work with orphans and in the local churches. They began preparing multiple skits, worship songs, sermons, and gifts to give orphans half a year in advance. When they went on the mission trip they had a wonderful time leading church services, spending time with orphans, and having fellowship with one another. This mission trip was transformational for them as it gave them the opportunity to see and help hungry, hopeless people in need of God as well as learn that they could use their own resources to reach the needy around them.
We look forward to a fun and productive 2013 year so if you have teens, we'd love to have them join us for these events, gatherings, and classes that we hold.